[thelist] Able to get to other users on server folders

Denis, David DDenis at inlumen.com
Wed May 16 11:50:57 CDT 2001

> FTP or SSH/Telnet...?  I've seen it with both before, but
> it's more common withthe latter, I think...maybe just my own
> experience.

Exactly.  Assuming their public_html is world readable, which it is, then
any files in there that are world readable, which they probably are
(especially if they were simply uploaded with an FTP client like CuteFTP)
will be readable.  Now if they specific users are smart, they would change
their permissions on their /home/user directory.  You can't change the
ability to read from public_html, that's kind of the whole point.  But users
shouldn't be sensitive files in there, only files associated with their web
page.  A troubling thing would be if you can access their CGIs where they
may have hard coded passwords.

Dave