[thelist] Playing with MIME type (was: Downloading .jpg & .pdf files)

Jakob Dölling alligotar at gmx.net
Mon May 21 17:40:57 CDT 2001

Joe,

> > > Is this going to work on IE/Windows? It's my understanding that IE makes
> > > guesses about files with strange MIME types based on the extension. Have
> > > you used this successfully? It's an interesting and clever shorthand  (I
> > > like!) - but does it work to bring up the "prompt to save" box for most
> > > browsers in a reliable way? And does doing it this way impact Macintosh?
> > > It seems like feeding an unknown mime type might make it unviewable (to
> > > most users) on the Mac side.
> >
> > Joe,
> > be calm, it will. This is not HTML as you might have noticed, these are
> > instructions for *server* how it has to deliver data. If have installed
> > Acrobat and you follow link that refers to pdf file, normally the
> > browser plugin of Acrobat kicks in and displays the file. This is the
> > default scenario. But if you tell your server to deliver as binary data,
> > you'll be prompted in your browser where you would to store the files.
> > That's the difference.

I think I know something what you will help: If you're installing win32
(which version exactly now it is I think doesn't matter), Windows has
associated gif and *.jpg files to IE - I don't know how to forbid
Windows to install IE. Did you tried the same thing with a *.jpeg file?

And, still something: Opera does the same as IE.

Regards,

Jakob Dölling
--
To Unix or not to Unix. That is the question whether 'tis nobler in the
mind to suffer slings and arrows of vast documentation or to take arms

Contact:
\/Jakob Dölling     \/EMail:     mailto:alligott at yahoo.com      \/
<>Treuerzipfel 13   <>ICQ #:     47326203                       <>
/\D-38678 Clausthal /\ICQ pager: mailto:47326203 at pager.icq.com  /\
/\Webmaster of http://www.bank-ic.de/                           /\