[thelist] AOL gif compression glitch?

J.J.SOLARI jjsolari at pobox.com
Tue May 22 05:58:30 CDT 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001 21:11:05 -0500, Erik Mattheis <gozz at gozz.com> wrote:

>From: Erik Mattheis <gozz at gozz.com>
>Subject: [thelist] AOL gif compression glitch?
>
> From the AOL Barf Department:
>
>A friend took this screenshot of a gif for me from AOL -
>discoloration on a portion of the image:
>
><http://gozz.com/temporary/re/mn2.gif>
>
>This is the original gif:
><http://gozz.com/temporary/re/images/mn_over.gif>
>
>On the same computer, Netscape and IE display it fine.
>
>Is there anything to do but sigh?

Erik,

I'm afraid there is not much we can do about it.

But I have read in a mailinglist (this one may be) that one could prevent AOL
stuff from sabotaging standard gifs in turning them into animated gifs as no
compression occurs with such files.

You would achieve this by adding an empty frame to your gif with tools like
GraphicConverter (Macintosh). Sorry don't know any software on Windows platform.

hih,

JJS.
--
personal site <http://www.yoyodesign.org/>