[thelist] Attack of the BLOB

scott.brady at homeqonline.com scott.brady at homeqonline.com
Tue May 22 15:44:47 CDT 2001

I've been given the task of using Cold Fusion to pull data from an Informix
database (over which I barely have read access, much less any other access) in
order to automate our Outage Monitor for some of our systems.

One of the problems I'm running up against is that the system that populates the
data (Action Request System) stores text fields as BLOBs (Binary Large OBjects)
and when I pull the info from the database, it displays as hexadecimal.

So far, no one I've found can tell me if there's a way to convert that to the
original text.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to turn a BLOB into readable
text?

Thanks!

Scott