[thelist] Apache Problem - SSI below root

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Wed May 23 15:28:05 CDT 2001

 >directory. If I create a .htm document in a folder below the root directory
 >and try to use a SSI, it don't work. I am trying to place the main
 >navigation bit of code in a document at the root and then have all other
 >documents (in the root or below) access and use that nav document.

Could you give us the config that you used to create the SSI? It sounds
like you ended a directory with a "/" as opposed to without a slash, which
should (?) limit it to just that directory. I don't have my book right in
front of me though, so I can't remember for sure.

 >I also have another dumb question. Under windows you can not create a file
 >that is just an extension (i.e. .htaccess) I am assuming that you can give
 >the file whatever name you want as long is ends in .htaccess? (Just making
 >sure, don't kick me off the list for asking the obvious, please)

Well, for Windows, yes, you can name it whatever you want, but when you
upload it to Apache, under the default configuration, yes, it has to be
".htaccess". You can however override this on Apache's end. See:

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#accessfilename

Hope that helps, binky...

Morbus Iff
.sig on other machine.