[thelist] Newbie: web-based db

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Thu May 24 19:41:44 CDT 2001

On Thursday, May 24, 2001, at 07:55 PM, William Snowden wrote:

> I want to build a database to be accessed via browser.  I want to be
> able to do all the work from home (on a Mac (OS 8.6)).  I don't want to
> spend any money.  Is it possible?  How do I go about it?
> Thanks....

You want to develop on the Mac or host on the Mac or both?

The implications are totally different depending on what you need to
have happen.

Hosting on the Mac (with 8.6) may not be the best answer in any event.
There are no free databases that I'm aware of for that operating system.
There might still be a free version of Frontier (http://www.userland
.com/ ) but I'm not sure if it's still available.

If you just want to develop on the Mac and host on another system, then
knowing what kind of server and databases you have available  (and what
kind of access you have available) are important.

You'll also need to know some kind of scripting languages or application
server environments to make it happen.

There are plenty of "free" systems (databases, languages, application
servers) available, but there's nothing in this world worth doing that
is absolutely free (except maybe spending a nice afternoon on a deserted
beach with someone you love).  There's always time and learning to
account for.

There's no reason that you can't develop a nice database driven web site
on a macintosh though - it happens every day.

bob
--
bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org