[thelist] Newbie: web-based db

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu May 24 19:52:04 CDT 2001

>On Thursday, May 24, 2001, at 07:55 PM, William Snowden wrote:
>
>>I want to build a database to be accessed via browser.  I want to
>>be able to do all the work from home (on a Mac (OS 8.6)).  I don't
>>want to spend any money.  Is it possible?  How do I go about it?
>>Thanks....
>
>You want to develop on the Mac or host on the Mac or both?
>
>The implications are totally different depending on what you need to
>have happen.

+1 to everything Bob said.

William -- would you be prepared to install either yellow dog linux
(http://yellowdoglinux.com), linux ppc (http://linuxppc.org/), or Mac
OS X (http://www.apple.com/macosx/)? The first two are 'free'
(inverted commas because they're free to download, but if you want
the cds you'll have to lay out a small amount of money, like, say
$10!), the last one is a lot more processor intensive, and will set
you back considerably more. I can't check the cost of purchasing
linuxppc on cd-rom at the moment because it seems their secure site
is down... bummer.

You could create a very low cost linux hosting system on a Mac with
any of those products. But, again, it depends what your ISP's hosting
system is -- you'll want to setup something very similar to them. If
you're targeting an NT ASP setup, then you'll have a hard time
recreating a local server on a mac.

Either that or design on the mac and upload to protected directories
on the server to test (kind-of-boring if you're on a dialup
connection).
--
Andrew Forsberg
http://www.thepander.co.nz/