[thelist] Form Mail

Matt Patterson ltu97mp at reading.ac.uk
Fri May 25 05:16:53 CDT 2001

On 25/5/01 at 9:11 am, tech at az-ink.com.mt (Joseph A Borg) wrote:

> on 25/05/01 8:41 AM, Steve Cook at steve.cook at evitbe.com wrote:
>
> > The first
> > part is the "pop-up" window. This requires a client-side script to function,
> > which in practise means accepting the use of a little JavaScript.
>
> excuse me, I might be saying something silly... but using
> target="new-window-name" in the <a> tag forces the browser to open a new
> window with that name- right? Is this javascript? Is it compatible with v2
> browsers?

You're right, but the problem of opening a pop-up window is not just getting the
thing open. If you want *any* control over the dimensions and position of the
window then you have to use Javascript, because there's no way to control how
and where a window is opened with target="new_window". A pop-up window which is
full-screen doesn't really help anyone...

Matt

Matt Patterson:
   Student
   Reading University
   Department of Typography & Graphic Communication

   ltu97mp at reading.ac.uk

   http://www.rdg.ac.uk/~ltu97mp/

   'I could call this place Poohanpiglet Corner if Pooh Corner didn't
sound better, which it does, being smaller and more like a corner.'