[thelist] close window js

sfmalo sfmalo at email.msn.com
Sat Jun 2 02:21:15 CDT 2001

Jonathan wrote:
> >Using the javascript/void technique has a tendency to convert the mouse
> icon
> >to an hourglass without ever changing it back.  Not all combinations of
> >browser/os have this problem, but I do see it on my NT/ie combination
from
> >time to time.

Thanks, Jonathan and the others who responded to my query, and thanks for
the site reference <see snip below>. The article's author discovered that
the following script solved the occasional circumstances when the mouse
cursor still didn't behave properly.

"Even when we used the script above there were occasional circumstances when
the mouse cursor still did not behave properly. I havn't any idea why this
should be the case but suspect it may have something to do with the
interaction between the browser and other Windows programs or between
different frames in the browser.

"We ... tried wrapping the link in another dummy link. The test proved
sucessfull and appears to correctly kick-start the system under all
circumstances. We have not found any downside to this solution and an
example script is displayed here."

<.a href="javascript:void(null)">
<.a href="javascript:void(null)" onClick="my_function(); return false">
<.img src="imgButt.gif" border=0 width=50 height=28></a></a>

Sharon
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com