[thelist] no more font tags?

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 2 06:18:12 CDT 2001

>i was working on a website today, when it hit me.

>why can't i just use css? wait a minute i thought,
>nearly 75% + of people are using IE4+ and most of the
>others are using netscape 4+ also. and this number is
>just growing and growing.

Make it 95%.

>then it dawned on me, i think i can finally get rid of
>font tags and shift towards fully compliant code,
>finally.

Yes! You can! Dance in the streets! <g>

When I started to spread the gospel according to CSS in the company I worked
for, the first thing I did was quite simply forbidding FONT tags. First of
all I've always hated them, secondly it forces people to use CSS, even if
very basic.

Q: "We want nice fonts! How to do that without a FONT tag?"
A: "Use CSS."

So, yes, by all means get rid of the FONT tags. Remember that even if a
visitor uses NN3 or some other ancient browser, he still sees the text and
can read it, he just doesn't see the correct font. Too Bad.

ppk