[thelist] SQL Server and Cold Fusion (fwd)

Joshua OIson joshua at alphashop.net
Sat Jun 2 17:48:27 CDT 2001

You should be able to do something like that was remote ODBC connections.
We did it with a Sybase database.  I don't know all the particulars, but
basically what will need to happen is that you will need to install a client
driver on the machine that has the CF which will make remote connections to
the machine with the database.

I run an NT box, and the process is kinda simple for the Sybase Stuff I use.
I create an ODBC connection with the Sybase Driver, and set it up to read
from the network instead of a local database on the Network Tab in the
administrator.  I select the Protocol (TCP/IP) and tell it
"host=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx".  I setup the login account, the server name, and
bingo it is ready to go.  The process may be very similar to that for MSSQL.

Once you get an ODBC driver that reference the remote datasource the rest
should be very typical to setting up a local datasource within Cold Fusion
Administrator.

However, if you are looking to get into it from a *nix box.... hmm, dunno.
Sorry!  :)

HTH,

-joshua