[ 60K ] RE: [thelist] File size limit?

phil crawford crawford_phil at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 3 17:05:14 CDT 2001

I'm getting into this thread late and haven't read the original posting, so
if I'm off base, sorry.

When thinking about file size it is important to consider not only the
general audience of visitors, but also the context of the page/file in
question.

For example, if I have to wait 30 seconds for a home page of a site I've
never been to, I may say "forget it" and move on.  The reason? The site
hasn't convinced me it would be worth my time.

However, if I'm shopping at one of my favorite sites or if I'm looking at a
bus route map of the city I live in and am clicking on a detail image, I'm
much, much more willing to wait.  Why?  Because I have a better idea that
the value of what I'm waiting for is worth the value of my investment in
time waiting for that content.

Think of browsing the web as a bunch of value propositions.  Each time a
user clicks on a link to a site or within a site, they are determining if
the value provided on the page they are going to is worth their time.

In my opinion, many retailers make a mistake of optimizing/shrinking their
detail product pictures more than they should.  If a user has clicked on
"show details" then they are obviously interested and willing to wait more
than they would for a typical page.

Jared Spool, a usability researcher, has data to support these ideas.

I wrote a short article about file size here.
http://netgrowth.net/articles/slower_is_better.asp