[thelist] no more font tags?

Charles F. Johnson charles at littlegreenfootballs.com
Mon Jun 4 11:39:58 CDT 2001

aardvark <roselli at earthlink.net> typed:

> if you define 'line-height' in your <body> and then try to do pixel-
> precise layouts (tables with some sliced images), you'll find that
> the line-height attribute will take any white space and apply it,
> causing your pixel-precise layouts to fall apart...

true, but that's only in netscape 4. in my stylesheets, i don't assign
styles that contain line-height to the TD tag when nescape 4 support is
important. it's safer to assign that sort of formatting to the P tag
instead.

there is also a problem in netscape 4 with inline images that are set to
align left or right; if the surrounding paragraph has a style with
line-height specified, the image can be drawn incorrectly, overlapping the
text. the work-around is to wrap the image in a table, and set the align
attribute of the table instead; netscape 4 has no such problem with inline
tables.

charles johnson
lgf web design
http://littlegreenfootballs.com