[thelist] Mozzila refusing to collapse table cell to 1px

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Mon Jun 4 11:51:03 CDT 2001

Andy and ppk,

> James Aylard can tell you more about the how and why of this. Anyway, if
you
> use any other doctype you can expect trouble with tables (though your
> specific problem is new to me).

    It looks like this thread has already run its course, but since my name
was mentioned while I was away for a few days, I thought I should at least
comment. Aardvark referenced the article that I wrote on Netscape 6 and the
HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD:

http://evolt.org/article/Does_Netscape_6_Break_Your_Table_Layouts/17/4427/in
dex.html

    I encourage those who read the article to also skim through the comments
below it, because my understanding of this issue has expanded since I wrote
the original piece. Basically, the reason that Netscape 6.x renders tables
differently than any other browser is due to the Mozilla team's
interpretation of the CSS 2 recommendation. They have, IMO, interpreted the
box model portion of that specification very narrowly, setting aside the
manner in which virtually all browsers have traditionally rendered tables.
This is, IMO, a huge mistake.
    That being said, I see that J. J. Solari has offered the
Mozilla-approved workaround of changing the display property of images to
"block" (by nature, they are replaced inline elements). However, I believe
that this may have adverse effects either within some other browsers, or
with images where maintaining an inline display property is desirable. You
made need to use classes or more-complex selectors to specify which images
are turned to blocks.

James Aylard