[thelist] Mozilla doesn't like XHTML

Matt Patterson ltu97mp at reading.ac.uk
Mon Jun 4 14:00:46 CDT 2001

On 4/6/01 at 8:51 pm, evolt at befrance.com (skamp) wrote:

> Here's a weird thing about Mozilla : it doesn't like XHTML.
> I've made a well formed HTML page, in XHTML. But Mozilla won't display it
> correctly unless I change the HTML header from

What do you mean 'won't display properly'??

> It also has a problem with links like "link.php?one=stuff&two=thing" : it
> will simply not see the "&two=thing" part of the link.
> So when you click on it, you get "link.php?one=stuff" only.

In XML (and XHTML because it's made of XML) all '&' everywhere signify the start of a character entity, like &nbsp; It doesn't matter where they are, unlike HTML which doesn't parse them in attributes (I think - I'd have to check whether it's supposed to)... for your links to work you need to have "link.php?one=stuff&amp;two=thing". That may well solve your display wierdness problems too (since the entity you're starting with the & in "&two=stuff" won't end 'til the next ";").

Matt

Matt Patterson:
   Student
   Reading University
   Department of Typography & Graphic Communication

   ltu97mp at reading.ac.uk

   http://www.rdg.ac.uk/~ltu97mp/

   'They haven't got Brains, any of them, only Grey fluff that's blown
into their heads by mistake,' - Eeyore