[ 60K ] RE: [thelist] File size limit?

Niklaus Haldimann runciter at rosa.com
Tue Jun 5 04:46:00 CDT 2001

Hi list

I just wanted to bring up a point I haven't seen mentioned in this
thread yet: The weight of a page is just one part of the game. How fast
a page loads is also dependend on how a page is built HTML-wise. Pages
should be built to appear in the browser gradually. To achieve that you
should most of all avoid having one table spanning the whole page, since
tables will only display as soon as they have been read completely by
the browser (there's features in the HTML 4 spec that address that
problem, but they are not widely supported AFAIK). It's good practice to
break up a page in as many tables as possible (if you need any at all).
Furthermore avoid table nesting when possible because it can slow down
table rendering remarkably.

Of course, if you want to be really cool, you'll use CSS-P to lay out
your pages, and you'll sort your divs in the order they are supposed to
appear on screen. I guess that will be common practice, when the
generation 6 browsers have taken over. I wish we were there yet ...

N.

--
Niklaus Haldimann, Frontend Engineer
At Work: http://www.rosa.com