[thelist] Site redirect check : old browser

Jacob Stetser lists at icongarden.com
Wed Jun 6 05:33:31 CDT 2001

I'm not sure I got my point across. Yes, designing to standards may
make your job easier on the server end. I think that's what you're
saying. But instead of going the rest of the way and saying "Hey,
we're designing to standards, how can we make that fact work for the
users as well?"

It's VERY easy to detect whether a browser supports getElementById.
Test for it. If the browser supports it, add your javascript
navigation and other elements. If not, use plain old non-javascripted
html navigation. Heck, there are some ingenious ways to combine the
two so that compliant browsers get the geee-whiz version and the
EXACT SAME code produces a usable plaiun html navigation scheme for
the rest.

Of course, I try to implement as little of a site's "necessary
features" in Javascript as I can. However, the new DOM gives me a
chance to code with degradation in mind. I don't care about
document.layers, document.all. As far as I'm concerned, the older
browser should lose the gee-whiz features, that's fine. It's when
older browsers lose necessary functionality that I get concerned.

What you're doing,  in my opinion, is tantamount to denying access to
the site because you don't want to spend the time to understand how
you can do this in such a way that works effectively for everyone.
Has this company run usage stats on their existing web site? How many
people will immediately be asked to upgrade their browsers when this
site launches? How many customers will get irate?

There's a very real people issue here, and that's EXTREMELY important
in business. My whole point is that I think you understand the
benefits to you of standards-compliant design, but I don't think
you're really thinking of the benefits to users. Standards compliant
design != shutting out the old guys, the weak guys (PDAs, embedded
devices, cellphones), the sick (WinCE!! ;)... it means designing a
site that will function everywhere, even if design and gee-whiz
features don't propagate down to the lesser folk.

You CAN develop great sites that include CSSP/DOM Javascript/DHTML
that work in all browsers. You have to let go of the necessity of
some of your concepts to do so, however. Why does everyone need
javascript menus, for example? It takes a lot more forethought and
organization of ideas - but it can be done.

That, I think, is the true spirit of standards in web development -
the browser upgrade campaign only comes halfway, even though many of
the sites developed by supporters go the full monty!

Thanks for sharing your site - btw, doesn't work in Mac IE5 for me :)

Jacob Stetser :: jms at icongarden.com
Internet Experience Consultant

icongarden.com: Making good ideas grow!