[thelist] Font size problems with CSS & NN 4.73(win)

Simon Coggins ppxsjc1 at unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jun 6 10:33:20 CDT 2001

> I'm using CSS on a major project for the first time, and I'm having some
> issues with NN 4.7X

Believe me you're not the only one - CSS and NN4 just don't get along...

> My CSS as included on every page is:

Have you considered using an embedded stylesheet instead of declaring the
styles on every page. Embedded stylesheets are one of the great advantages
of CSS in the first place. See:

http://www.w3c.org/TR/REC-CSS1#containment-in-html

> Now the problem is that when I want to make something size one font, it
> works everywhere except NN 4.7X.  I was trying to do it like this:

> after that didn't work, I tried other sizes, but nothing happened.  All I
> get is size 2 font.
>
> Shouldn't I be able to do this?

If you're going to use CSS then you can get rid of FONT tags all
together, mixing FONT tags and CSS together is probably asking for
trouble.

> If you absolutly must create straight text as a graphic, make sure that you
> trim them perfectly.  Overall it will save you a bunch of disk space.

I agree with the premise, but actually it doesn't make that much
difference if the images are GIFs, and the background is a single
colour, because of the way that GIF compression works.

Simon