[thelist] partnering

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 6 13:10:10 CDT 2001

> From: "A. Erickson" <amanda at gawow.com>
[...]
> Anyone have any insight into these kinds of deals?

the term partnering has a warning next to it in my book... it's quite
clearly all about you benefitting from their relationships... don't beat
around the bush, tell them that's what you want... as you say
below...

> Also, if this person isn't interested, I'd like to ask her for an
> introduction to some of these clients and promise some sort of
> referral fee contingent on whether the project goes though -- is this
> a good idea?

yes, it's a good idea...

overall, don't get greedy... if you 'partner' with someone and they
bill you out on their project, yes, they're marking you up, but so
what?  you're still getting your normal rate, right?

and if you get a job you wouldn't have otherwise gotten, who cares
if you kick a % back to the person who gave you the referral, it's
money you wouldn't otherwise have had...

don't get greedy, and reward the people who give you business...
it'll keep them going, and hopefully they'll give you more...

these kinds of relationships can be very handy... my own company
accidentally stumbled into partnerships with 80% of the ad
agencies in town, and the experience has been rewarding for both
us and them... sure, we couldn't bid on some jobs because our
partner already had, but we were gonna get it anyway whether they
got it or we got it...

i can't offer any more insight without specifics, which i'm not asking
for... each situation is different, but any time you can expose
yourself to more prospects, and even reward someone for doing it,
it's smart business...