[thelist] RE: US census count of "disabled"

Gary Finnigan gfinnigan at talk21.com
Sat Jun 9 11:15:02 CDT 2001

When coding a website, the notion behind using the website is that it is
global. It opens up your information/services whatever to a much larger
market. If I thought that for the sake of a couple of hours I was disabling
my website to millions of potential customers then I would deserving taking
off the contract.

There is no norm anymore. The technologies such as cookies, Jscript, ASP and
CSS are there to enable us to create sites so flexible that people can
actually have it the way they want it. Ay present for instance we are
converting a 600 page site to enable people to have the font size and
colour, and bground colour the way they wish it to be.
Successful companies will usually attribute their success to one
thing...giving the customer what they want.
If you rang ma bell and asked if you could have an info pack on their
services as you were considering installing a phone line, would you accept
it if they sent you a Chinese language pack saying 'The majority of people
in the world speak this language so it's the only one we publish in'.?

I see access to sites as a creative challenge on a personal level, a moral
requirement on another and a necessity from a business sense.

IMHO

Regards

Gary (Who cannot read without strong spectacles.)