[thelist] Re: [thelist] Freelance web designer: display résumé or Curriculum Vitae ??

Karin Ransdell kransdell at squishedmosquito.com
Sun Jun 10 21:30:30 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elfur Logadottir" <elfur at elfur.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2001 7:33 PM
Subject: [thelist] Freelance web designer: display résumé or Curriculum
Vitae ??

> So I'm hitting the freelance world (on the side) and keep thinking: should
> i display a résumé or a cv on my site?
>
> but, is there a difference between the two?
> what is a cv?
> and résumé?

Sadly, almost any business-oriented reference you look up will make no
distinction between the two.  Instructors and services for "resumes" are
suddenly mixing them.  Personally, I attribute it to the self-aggrandizement
of the business world over the last couple of years.  CV just sounds so much
more important ;)

Speaking as the wife of a college professor, however,  I prefer the
traditional use for the CV.  Curriculum vitae is historically used in the
academic, rather than business world and is a listing of a person's studies,
publications, research, honors, fellowships, etc., used as the "resume" of
the teaching profession and is generally extremely detailed.  The rule of
thumb for general resumes is typically one page, whereas a CV can go on ad
nauseum.

An excellent reference can be found at
http://www.cc.colorado.edu/CareerCenter/Publications/CurriculumVitae/Appropr
iate.html
"When is a Curriculum Vitae Appropriate?"

For instance, despite any academic standing, I offer a resume.  Hubby the
Professor offers a Curriculum Vitae.

Karin