[thelist] Japanese characters in HTML q.

Kerin Cosford Kerin.Cosford at current-drugs.com
Mon Jun 11 04:30:40 CDT 2001

Hi all,

I'm working on a project using XSL to convert XML to HTML. Its all going
swimmingly so far, but I've run into something of a problem with Netscape 4.

If you look at http://freelance.bocuma.com you'll see what I mean (ignore
the minor layout problems for now - thats standard stuff). The Japanese
characters don't get translated correctly in NN4.x, and I just can't see
why. The source XML is in UTF-8, and the XSL engine I'm using is converting
characters into character entities like 日本では

All I can think of is that NN4.x isn't reading these characters correctly.
I've hunted around on the web for advice on this, and got NN4.x
Japanese-text happy (if I visit www.microsoft.com/japan it looks fine,
although, strangely, www.shift.jp.com is not).

Where am I going wrong? Is it my NN4.x setup thats at fault, or my HTML/XSL
procedure?

Thanks in advance,

Kerin