[thelist] Check browser settings with ASP?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 11 10:54:02 CDT 2001

> From: "J. Blanchard" <jay.blanchard at thermon.com>
[...]
> We were discussing a plan here where we could determine the browser
> settings (640x480, 800x600, etc.), then deliver all of the graphics
> according to the size of the viewer's browser window allowing a
> consistent look, proportionally, in the most popular browser settings.

well, some stuff the browser just doesn't make available to ASP
applications, like screen size, window size, bit-depth, etc... you'll
need some client-side scripting to capture that...

> Does anyone know of a method of doing this in ASP? I would like to be
> able to capture the variable at the beginning of the session and
> maintain that throughout.

have you looked at Real-World Browser Size Stats, Part I?
http://evolt.org/article/list/17/2295/index.html

it uses a combination of client-side JavaScript to capture the
window size, screen size, and bit-depth, and then writes them out
to a cookie for access by the ASP script...

granted, this tutorial ends up writing it all to a flat file, but that's not
to say that you can't ditch that part, since the tutorial already
shows you how to access that info from the cookie...

try it out, it should fit... but keep in mind the caveat, it works only
on 4.x+ browsers with JS enabled... you should consider what the
default page will be failing receiving any data, perhaps 640x480?

> If push comes to shove I could capture the browser settings via
> ECMAScript and pass the variable information to ASP, but I would
> rather stick with an ASP solution if possible.

not likely... Scott suggested BrowserHawk, which is keen, but i
don't think will get you what you need...