[thelist] Keyboard breakdown

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser at skdesigns.com
Mon Jun 11 16:50:01 CDT 2001

Peter-Paul,

I'll throw in three possibilities that I've experienced with unusual
assortments of letters and keyboard peculiarities just in case one of them
helps.

In Windows 98SE if you have too many fonts installed, strange things can
occur like this with your keyboard, too. Uninstalling some of the fonts and
getting the number down can be one solution if that's the cause. It
especially shows up with strange replacements of letters in browser windows
but also does it with the keyboard. Strange indeed.

I have a wireless keyboard for my main computer, and I notice that if
something dense comes between the keyboard and the little receiver that it
will type strange keys. At first thought the battery was getting low in the
keyboard, but that wasn't the case. Moving the keyboard or the dense object
is a simple fix.

Low memory on the computer can also occasionally cause this problem. Of
course, restarting (warm boot) or sometimes a full shutdown and starting it
again (cold boot) of the computer fixes that.

Warmly,
Shirley
--
Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.