[thelist] Keyboard breakdown

Peter Kaulback pkaulbak at idirect.ca
Mon Jun 11 17:01:06 CDT 2001

In the wee hour of 09:30 PM 6/11/01 +0000, Peter-Paul Koch bequeathed such
tales as these:

>Hello,
>
>Coming home just now and eagerly starting up my computer to read the
>interesting mails about the Netscape article, I found out that my keyboard
>had fouled up completely. For some reason it doesn't recognize some of the
>keys I hit and makes them other keys (F, for instance, becomes Caps Lock).
>Sometimes it refuses any input and seems to think Alt is pressed all the time.
>
>I didn't change anything, except for uninstalling IE5.5 a few days ago
>(without any problems, until now). Fortunately my old Win 3.1 computer is
>still available, so I started it up and am now typing this mail.
>
>Does anyone have the faintest idea what's going on and how to solve this?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>ppk
How old is your keyboard?  It sounds as if it may have died, I have had a
few just give up and fail and since they are so cheap I just toss them and
replace them.  Not very environmental but troubleshooting a keyboard
hardware wise just isn't worth it.  Your keyboard controller may be faulty,
is the keyboard a PS/2, AT, USB, or cordless?  How old is your
computer?  Too many fonts can sometimes be the culprit too.  If you can
start up fine then in win98 go to start/programs/accessories/system
tools/system information/tools/ and run system file checker as there may be
a glitch with windows itself.  HTH
Peter Kaulback