[thelist] Windows ME issue

Peter Kaulback pkaulbak at idirect.ca
Mon Jun 11 20:11:20 CDT 2001

In the wee hour of 03:48 PM 6/11/01 -0700, Michael McGlynn bequeathed such
tales as these:
>HI,
>Every time i start my TCP connection, there seems to be a lot of traffic
>before i even launch the browser or Outlook. Today there was an application
>failure, and and application called
>
>athomee.exe
>
>failed. It lives in C://WINDOWS/SYSTEM and has no version information. A
>Google seach revealed a log entry, but not much else, and nothing on
>Microsoft's site:
>
>1          0.00%  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98; Indonesia
>Inte
>1          0.00%  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98; MSOCD;
>AtHomeE
>
>Is this a bad thing? Trojan horse?
It's likely a component of an @Home application.  If you ctrl-alt-del when
you're not connected is it running in the background or does it get loaded
at start-up?  If it's the latter then go to Start/Run/msconfig and check to
see if it's included in your startup group, if it is then uncheck it and
see if you can connect to the internet after you reboot.  If you can't
connect then you have to enable it again.
Peter Kaulback