[thelist] When should you redirect? (was site redirect check)

Philippe Jadin philippe.jadin at 123piano.com
Tue Jun 12 11:22:20 CDT 2001

> I think you're right - it is similar to the translation issue.
>
> One thought though - rather than having separate URLs for different
version
> (although this is useful for testing purposes), would it not be more
> consistent
> for users to have the same URL which simply rendered differently based on
> user preferences?

Agreed, I'd say that for the same content with a different look it's better
to have the same url and store user settings in a cookie. The cookie is easy
to set. Maybe the low-end, textual version should be the default one for
those disabling cookies?

But for differents translations, imho the differents url (/en /fr /de ...
with the links on each page to the other language) is better understood by
the users : they won't look at another language as soon as they have the
right one,  and it is cookie independant.

Philippe