[thelist] Number of digits in Credit Card Number

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Tue Jun 12 13:24:39 CDT 2001

Hi Harlow,

> Hi, does any one know the number of alphanumeric characters for
> the following credit card numbers.  I was assuming 16 characters
> for all of them, but am not so sure anymore.

Searched Google for "credit card validation" and got this:
http://www.beachnet.com/~hstiles/cardtype.html

Credit Card Validation
"This document outlines procedures and algorithms for Verifying the accuracy and validity of credit card numbers."

Actually a pretty interesting page.  Shows how to validate by more than just the length of the string.  I am sure there are also JavaScript modules/ CF custom tags that do this as well.

Regards,

Seth