[thelist] quicktime streaming

Andrew Forsberg andrew at uber.net.nz
Tue Jun 12 20:08:54 CDT 2001

>I have a bunch of mov files and notice they need to be completely
>downloaded to play.
>http://www.netlivemusic.com/craig/
>
>does one have to install quicktime streaming server just to get
>these babies to autoplay, or is
>there a server config (im running apache) that will do this?

I've never looked into the server side of quicktime streaming, but if
you simply want the movies to start playing once a significant amount
has been downloaded then check the movie export settings that were
used. There should be a 'prepare for internet streaming' option, with
a number of choices (fast start / fast start + compressed header /
hinted). This worked fine on the servers I'm using without any
dicking about server-side at all.

On the other hand, if you're wanting something like a web-cam-style
video feed, then that's a different story altogether... I could be
wrong, but I'm fairly sure that's what the 'quicktime streaming
server' you mention would offer, and I don't think that's what you
want here.

Best,
Andrew
--