[thelist] quicktime streaming

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Tue Jun 12 22:11:11 CDT 2001

>I have a bunch of mov files and notice they need to be completely
>downloaded to play.
>http://www.netlivemusic.com/craig/
>
>does one have to install quicktime streaming server just to get
>these babies to autoplay, or is
>there a server config (im running apache) that will do this?

No, don't need Quicktime server unless you want to do bandwidth
negotiation or live streaming, or want to make it hard for people to
save files to their hard drives ... dunno, maybe some other reasons.

The type of streaming you're looking for is a client-side thing.
There is a client side setting:

Plug-in settings > Play Movies Automatically

You can override this setting by embedding the .mov in HTML and
saying autoplay="true|false"

All you need to know is at:

<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/authoring/embed.html> and
<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/tutorials/faststart.html>