[thelist] interesting CSS syntax

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Wed Jun 13 17:03:04 CDT 2001

Bill,

> The first X works around an IE3 bug where if you have a font-family list
> and the browser doesn't have the first font in the list available to it,
it
> will ignore all the fonts in the family list -- regardless of whether any
> of the other fonts are available to the browser or not.

    I assume that you are referencing the bug as described at
richinstyle.com [1]. But if so, then what would one gain by placing an "X"
as the first entry (which would cause all of the actual font families to be
ignored)? Did the interwoven folks get it wrong? Or is there some additional
workaround not cited on richinstyle?

> >       For correct rendering across all three browsers include a
> >       fictitious font name enclosed in single quotes as your
> >       first font choice and a fictitious font name as your last
> >       choice. "

    It would be interesting to know why they recommend this. It also
contradicts richinstyle's recommendation of only using double quotes around
names of font families [2]. Anyone?

James Aylard

1. http://www.richinstyle.com/bugs/ie3.html#mutiple
2. http://www.richinstyle.com/bugs/ie3.html#quote