[thelist] Netscape JavaScript Problem

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 13 21:27:42 CDT 2001

ian,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Ian Potts
:
: You can see what I mean by taking a look at the
: test page at:
: http://members.home.com/ian5411/nsjstest.htm
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i hope you haven't solved this problem yet.  if you have, i hope this can be
useful in some way to you and others.

i wasn't able (with my limited play time these days) to figure out exactly
what was causing netscape to not play nice with your javascript.  i tested
it with a text box (instead of a hidden field) and it still wouldn't write
the value to the field or report it in the alert().

so, since i felt bad about being stumped and slow in responding to your
problem, i took 10-15 minutes to write the functionality from scratch to see
if the problem was reproducible from dissimilar script.  fortunately, i was
unable to reproduce it and have succeeded in building a version that does
what you want it to.  i even managed to end up with a solution that's
slightly smaller as well.  enough bragging, here's the goods:

http://members.evolt.org/jeff/code/add_text_to_select.html

good luck,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/