[thelist] Netscape JavaScript Problem

Ian Potts ian at centergate.com
Thu Jun 14 16:02:30 CDT 2001

".jeff" wrote:
> i hope you haven't solved this problem yet.  if you have, i hope this can be
> useful in some way to you and others.

Jeff, thanks for the help! I haven't solved the problem, but I have been
able to trace the problem to the history.go(0); statement. This forces
the page to reload (needed for Netscape to correctly handle the
added/removed option) however, it also seems to erase the hidden value
previously set.

> so, since i felt bad about being stumped and slow in responding to your
> problem, i took 10-15 minutes to write the functionality from scratch to see
> if the problem was reproducible from dissimilar script.  fortunately, i was
> unable to reproduce it and have succeeded in building a version that does
> what you want it to.  i even managed to end up with a solution that's
> slightly smaller as well.  enough bragging, here's the goods:

> http://members.evolt.org/jeff/code/add_text_to_select.html

Seems to work VERY well. The method in which you set the hidden variable
does make the difference. By setting it when the form is submitted, the
value is not lost.

Thanks Jeff!

Ian