[thelist] Smart Tag Not

the head lemur headlemur at qwest.net
Fri Jun 15 13:00:29 CDT 2001

> can you post this as a comment to the article on the site?
> http://evolt.org/article/lemurs_are_fun/1/11252/index.html

Not yet....

<snip>

from webdesign-l with permission
--------------

OK, now I'm completely in the "SmartTags are evil" camp.

Why?

Well, this meta tag does not work:

I tested it on my IE6/Windows XP system.

The problem is that the user can over-ride the meta tag and decide to see
the SmartTags anyway, even if the site's designer doesn't want you to see
any SmartTags done by other people.

This is BULL. Support Dave Winer's "Microsoft-free Friday's" campaign at
http://www.scripting.com

------------------
>How does the user do it?   (Asking without access to IE6/XP to play with.)

See this image of the Internet Tools/Options/Advanced/Smart Tags options
area:

http://w3future.com/pics/smarttagopts.gif

If a user selects "Always have Web pages display available smart tags"
that's exactly what happens, even if your page has the meta tag telling
browsers not to display them.

Robert Scoble

sigh and i was in the middle of putting together a redhat/apache box.....
all formatted and no where to go.....