[thelist] SVG - who ? what ?

Philippe Jadin philippe.jadin at 123piano.com
Fri Jun 15 17:30:43 CDT 2001

> In my own very limited experimentation LiveMotion created SVG files
> were massive compared Flash files of the same graphic (5 times the
> size?) - I've no idea whether that has to do with LiveMotion or the
> SVG format, or just the particular graphic I was using.

Flash is binary, svg is xml, that should explain why svg takes much more
place. When compressing an svg file, you get roughly the same size as an
equivalent flash file.

Technically speaking, svg is _far_ better than flash. For example, it
supports effects, such as blur, glow, etc... you can build your own effects.
For instance, a dropshaddow fx is 2 or 3 lines of code to define it, then
you can apply it to any part of your svg (like a css style).

The fact that svg is xml text is a very good thing : you can generate almost
anything with any server-side *and* client side language. You can directly
embed most formats such as jpg, sounds, etc... (in theory).

I really hope svg will be used in the near future, as it is clearly a good
format for print- and web- design. It could replace flash and pdf and...

Philippe