[thelist] Questions

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Sat Jun 16 15:28:15 CDT 2001

I would strongly recommend picking up a copy of Ben Forta's ColdFusion 4.0
Web Application Construction Kit.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/078971809X/

That's how I learned.

Later in life, try Ben Forta's ColdFusion 4.0 Advanced ColdFusion 4.0
Application Development.

But that one is definitely not necessary for beginners.

Also, if you like lots of e-mail, try http://www.houseoffusion.com/ and
join the CF-Talk mailing list.

Some people don't like it, but you could also try the ColdFusion
Developer's Journal: http://www.sys-con.com/coldfusion/index2.cfm.

And, of course, Allaire has lots of resources:
http://www.allaire.com/developer/referenceDesk/index.cfm.

--Ben

At 02:38 PM 6/16/2001, you wrote:
>Where's a good place to start looking into ColdFusion?
>
>--- Ben Dyer <ben_dyer at imaginuity.com> wrote:
> > At 02:17 PM 6/16/2001, you wrote:
> > >Hi All,
> > >
> > >I am new to ColdFusion and I have 2 questions.
> > >
> > >1) How do I create a date object in ColdFusion
> > (mm-dd-yy) format to appear
> > >at the top of the page?
> >
> > Use this within <CFOUTPUT>...</CFOUTPUT>
> > #DateFormat(Now(),"MM-DD-YY")#
> >
> > >2) On a form I have separate fields for inputting a
> > phone area code, phone
> > >prefix and a phone suffix.  How would I combine
> > those into one variable,
> > >formatted as (555)121-2121,  to be inserted in a
> > database field phone?
> >
> > <CFSET new_phone =
> > "(#Form.area_code#)#Form.prefix#-#Form.suffix#">
> >
> > Then use the #new_phone# variable wherever you need
> > to.
> >
> > --Ben

Ben Dyer
Senior Internet Developer