[thelist] Win2K IE 5.5 and open.window?

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Mon Jun 18 15:44:33 CDT 2001

| Yes...I checked that first! It is turned on!
|
| I made sure that I am running the same version of IE 5.5 on
| NT and Win2K! :(
|
| I will double check the IE settings!
|
| Rio :)

Hi Rio,

Do you, perchance, get other issues in Win 2k -- like copy/paste not working
right, drag and drop acting funny, etc.?

I had this problem last year after installing IE 5.5 on Win2k. Let me not
tell you about it.

<tip type="Contacting Support">
When contacting technical support for your product, or even doing searches
on the web or in that company's Knowledgebase, first specify the type of
technology you have (i.e. version, platform, etc.) and any specific error
messages in the exact syntax. Then use words that users understand to
describe the problem since this is how the technicians have been trained and
the systems developed.
</tip>

<tip type="Usability Principles: Feedback">
When crafting user messages that report about an abnormal condition within
the system, use language they understand, in the context they are using it.
For instance, while they may understand "Your system is running dangerously
low on memory...", the context of the usual user not working at a nuclear
power plant or airport traffic control tower will become unnecessarily
upset.

You also may find it beneficial to provide some technical information which
follows the principle of visibility: show them what they need to know or do
and hide what they don't at that time. When they contact your tech support,
they need to see that technically fine-grain detail that the support analyst
can use for a precise diagnosis, but not before. Making sure that your
support team is knowledgeable about both of the messages is wise; especially
effective if you've gone ahead and designed the software around the way your
users actually work and what they want to accomplish -- your support team
will be keenly aware of the technical aspect of the application and
laypeople in the users' field of expertise.
</tip>