[thelist] IIS Security Tip, was FW: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-033

Paul Cowan paul at wishlist.com.au
Mon Jun 18 18:53:36 CDT 2001

Hi all,

Free of charge, relating to the below, here's probably the most important
tip for any IIS webheads out there. Rather long for a tip, but hey.

<tip type="IIS Security" author="Paul Cowan">
The ABSOLUTE FIRST STEP in securing a production NT/2000 web server is to
remove *any* and *all* DLL mappings which aren't required. On a live,
publicly-accessible box, that should include all of them except the ASP
ones.
Do it for the default website pretty much on the first power-up after
install, then you won't forget, and any new sites you create afterwards
should be fine. On IIS 4, this is in [server name] -> Properties -> WWW
Service master properties -> Home Directory -> Configuration -> App
mappings. If it doesn't map to asp.dll, delete it. There are many other
important steps when securing an IIS box (check the MS documentation),
but with this baby, when _most_ of the MS IIS security bulletins
come through, and your boss says in a panic "are we OK? my god, a
security risk! help help!", you can read it, lean back, and smile
heartily, impressing them with your incredibly cool demeanor and
guaranteeing yourself another $15K next financial year.
</tip>

Next week, in IIS Security 101: "Removing The Default Website And
Sample Virtual Directories For Dummies".

Cheers,

Paul