[thelist] Help with finding fonts

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Mon Jun 18 23:32:58 CDT 2001

On 18 Jun 2001, at 18:02, Chase Ritter posted a message which said:

>   I am looking for a font called Microstyle, I have
> used it on my companies webpage, and my partner and I
> both reloaded Windows, thus losing the font, now we
> can't find it anywhere. Please help. Where is a good
> place to start looking for fonts?

I believe Microstyle is a clone of Microgramma, designed
in 1952 by Alessandro Butti and Aldo Novarese for
Societa Nebiolo of Turin, Italy. It's either very beautiful
and elegant, or else butt-ugly; I've never figured out which.

Butti and Novarese rethought Microgramma in 1962 and
came up with Eurostile, which was basically a condensed
Microgramma. A capital C in Microgramma would be as
wide as it was tall; in Eurostile, it would be about 60-70%
as wide as it was tall. That makes Eurostile more useful
for stuff that needs to be *read*.  Microgramma is mostly
useful for logos that only have to be decoded *once*.

http://www.myfonts.com/BrowseByFoundry?id=73
has pictures of the fonts, and I believe you can order
them on their site.

My ancient Corel Draw has a "Euromode" type face
which clones Eurostile. My copy of Microgramma is
the genuine URW font, though, so I don't know what
else is available

deke