FrontPage Server Extensions - are they REALLY necessary? (was RE: [thelist] MS Visual Studio & IIS Woes)

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Tue Jun 19 16:35:21 CDT 2001

> Anyone know of a downside to my steadfast refusal to load the
> FrontPage
> extensions on our web servers? Obviously, we're not using FrontPage or
> making it available to anyone here internally or they'd be installed.

On production servers, never ever use em. On development servers, they're
not too bad. If you care about source control, using them in conjunction
with SourceSafe on the server is grand (and you *are* using some sort of
source control, yes?). If you're using InterDev for your IDE, I don't know
why you'd /not/ use em. But, if you have your guys comfy with the process
you have, yer done....

How do you debug your pages? IIRC, with InterDev the FP Extensions are
required to do server-side debugging (I'm enlightened if I'm wrong =) )

I for one don't understand the aversion to them (on development servers).
Seems that the (understandable) bad taste from the FP editor spreads to the
extensions. InterDev<--FP Extensions-->IIS is not only stable, but quite
workable and transparent. Yeah there are gizmos and code-bloat generating
snippets that MS would love for you to use, but noone said you have to (I
don't) ....

sgd