[thelist] ColdFusion: reading user files

jon steele jjsteele22 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 00:34:11 CDT 2001

Hi everyone,

I've hit a little snag which should be (in my opinion) pretty
staightforward.

I have a CF app on a local server working great. It gets a user-defined
file (using a <input type=file>) and reads the contents using a
<CFFILE> tag. But when I upload the app to my remote server, it gives a
coldfusion error "file not found, error in CFFILE tag". I think it's
getting confused. It says the filepath correctly, but since it is a
windows NT server, it tries to look for the files on the server. How
can I fix this? I tried adding file:/// before the path in the <CFFILE>
tag but it still doesn't work. Is this a security issue: not being able
to read user files? Do I need to upload the file then read it?

Thanks,
Jon.