[thelist] HTML in email

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at magisnetworks.com
Thu Jun 21 11:43:17 CDT 2001

<spoken voice="Homer Simpson" timbre="embarassed">D'oh! </spoken>

<tip type="Windows">
Windows machines ship with filename extensions turned off by default. If the
operating system knows which application the file is associated with, you
see only the filename, not the extension; i.e. 'myfile' instead of
'myfile.txt'

The most egregious issue with this is the fact that VBScript viruses often
masquerade as other file types, since the '.vbs' on the end isn't displayed.

To turn extensions ON in Win2K:

1. Open Windows Explorer
2. Click 'Tools | Folder Options'
3. UNCHECK the box 'Hide file extensions for known file types'

Process is similar for Win9x/ME
</tip>

joel at spinhead.com