[thelist] successful web projects

Bev Corwin bev at enso-company.com
Thu Jun 21 11:55:17 CDT 2001

Hi Peter,

We usually send the client instructions.  The instructions discusses how the
client can best prepare information for the project, and how to best
communicate with the project manager or web developer.  We explain how this
will save costs.   Then in our negotiations, we explain some of the ideas in
more detail.   Usually they respond very positively to this because they
often haven't thought about the general planning processes, and how they can
best prepare to save costs.  This is particularly true with smaller
businesses that do not have in house full time technical staff.   We always
document goals and set up "stages" to building something, especially if it
involves multiple languages.   This gives us something to judge by, and it
also helps when someone asks for additional work to a project.

We started doing this in our multilingual services, and have now developed
the same practice in our monolingual sites.    Here is a link to one of the
publicly publicized documents that I like the most.  It basically shows the
same ideas and principles for planning development stages and educating your
client:

http://www.fxtrans.com./resources/localization-kit.pdf

Our documents are not publicly published,  like this one,  and they don't
look as nice either,  but the general concepts are there.

Sincerely,
Bev