[thelist] Coldfusion requires capitalized Datasource names?

Charles Wilson (h) me at charlesw.com
Fri Jun 22 02:56:37 CDT 2001

I'm not sure what I found or if I am missing something, but listen to this..

Coldfusion Administrator demands datasource names for SQL databases to start with a capital letter.
Example Datasource names: "Test" works. "test" does not.
If you name it "Test", then update, then open it again, it has become "test"- but still works.

Using:
Coldfusion 4.5.1, SQL2000 (trial edition), WIN 2000 Adv. Srv.

What happens:
I create a new database in SQL2000, and name it "test"- all lowercase.

I set it up in ColdFusion Admin's ODBC screen, with the datasource name as "test" - lowercase- and
it fails.
I use "Test" as the datasource name- and it works.

Got 2 minutes?  Try this out and post your results.  If someone else can repeat it, I'd like to
report it.

Thanks.
-charles wilson

(interestingly, small quirky things like this are usually only solved in communites such as this;
I'm glad to be here, and I hope this helps someone. I spent an hour trying to figure out what was
wrong and now I'm thinking it had to do with the capitalization of one letter.)