[thelist] Netscape 6.1 PR1

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 22 05:01:08 CDT 2001

>Thanks. I read your article. Goodness, dots by the mouseover nav bars, how
>strange. I'm really curious whether they've re-instituted the ability for
>the browser to read PDF files. I recently had to put up a warning on
>another client's site (who suddenly decided to put up three PDF files for
>viewers) that Netscape 6 no longer allows viewing such. Hopefully, this
>feature is again available.

Maybe it's because Netscape 6 doesn't recognize the .pdf extension and
doesn't know what to do with it? Or do you mean that it doesn't open the PDF
in a browser window or frame? Anyway, hadn't heard about this problem yet.

>Do you think it would be a good idea for me to uninstall 6.01 before
>installing 6.1 Preview Release 1? Might they "fight" otherwise? Or, will
>6.1 PR1 be regarded as an update? I had such an awful experience a few
>months ago when downloading 6.0 that I'm very nervous

I've had no trouble in installing 6.01 and 6.1 next to each other, I can
even run them at the same time. So there shouldn't be a problem.

>Also, I'd like to free up the 30+ meg that 6.01 now takes up on my
>"fast-shrinking" hard drive!

That's another thing, of course <g>. If the sites you make have more than,
say, 1% hits from Netscape 6, you should keep 6.01 for a little while more
since this is the browser your users will be using. Switch to 6.1 in, say,
two months or so.

If you hardly get any NN6 hits at all, you can install 6.1 immediately.

ppk