[thelist] XML (not just XHTML) support in browsers

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Fri Jun 22 13:23:35 CDT 2001

> From: "jvcwebdev" <jvcwebdev at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [thelist] XML (not just XHTML) support in browsers
>

> >> What versions of which browsers have XML (not just XHTML) support?
>
> >All of them.
> >
> >But, what I think you're really asking is which browsers support XSLT. I
> >believe that is IE5 and NN6.
>
> I believe that only IE5 and NN6 support XML.

No. XML is text. I'm 99.9% sure that all browsers support text.

> The two browsers deal with XML
> differently.  IE5 returns a tree structure and NN6 just gives a mass of
text
> unless you call a style sheet to format the XML.

Yes. IE5 has a default style for XML documents. But, this is just how IE5
presents XML documents and doesn't have anything to do with support for the
documents themselves.

> I think that so far XSLT is usually done server side.

This is true. But, it's true becuase there is a lack of browser support.
Like I said, only IE5 and NN6 support XSLT (though I don't know about the
level of support).

Thanks,

--
mattwarden