[thelist] More Smart Tags

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Sun Jun 24 04:14:57 CDT 2001

<snip>worth the time...</snip>

It certainly is.

I am dumbfounded.  Microsoft strikes again.

Smart tags are pure evil.

I like freedom of thought, I tolerate advertising, I hate pressure sales.

I really, really like to draw my own conclusions when reading anything.
I also like to know whose opinions I am getting when I read commentary.

In short I like to make up my own mind.

I'm technically savvy enough to turn off stuff I don't like, but millions of
users aren't.

Smart tags are the equivalent of writing notes in library books, or worse,
writing notes in books in bookshops, that you don't own, before you buy
them.

I get a book, I like to read it through my own *experience window*.  If I
want a review I like to know who wrote it.

If I wrote a book I'd be livid if every copy sold had anonymous notes in it,
wouldn't you?

I build web sites for a living, the idea of trying to sell a site to a
commercial customer that can be grafitti'd by an anonymous competitor is
outrageous.

Imagine trying to sell anything from your e-commerce site when every product
has a link to another competing product, right there on the page!

Smart Tags stink.

Bury them now!

Oooh I'm mad now.............