[thelist] Mac Users: Problems viewing RTF

Sabrina Dent, Apperception sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Sun Jun 24 17:23:06 CDT 2001

Cheers, Martin, cheers, Erik :o)

Martin said:
> Something to check - are they simple ' and " marks or are they curly
> quotes? Check in both directions between Mac & Win.

Well, I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but the RTF file's font is
Verdana, so they look like regular non-serif  quote marks and apostrophes to
me.

A user reports that "Come on, Jeannie, its for my birthday!" reads as:

 ìCome on, Jeannie, its for my birthday.î

Erik said:

> For both Netscape and IE the default download in the desktop

OK, I guess if you can't find a file on your desktop, you need more help
than I do :o) Same user reports having to drag the file to his Clarisworks
folder to get them to "open/convert."

> Could we see an example?

Umm. Sure. Just know that the site isn't live yet, so it's a bit of a mess.

http://www.satinslippers.com/forums/links_showall.asp?cat_id=26&parent_id=2&
parent_name=Erotica&sub_name=Lesbian

Choose the first entry in that section, "Latent Image" which is the one with
the ASCII characters for quote marks I noted above.

Finally, another Mac user reports she can't upload files because even though
they're .rtf the upload dialogue tells her "they're the wrong file type."  I
have no idea how to help this woman.

If anyone wants to be arsed to test upload off a Mac, there's an account
with the username "evolt" and password "evolt" (all no quotes).  Uploading
anywhere is fine.

Many, many thanks,
--Sabrina