[thelist] Mac Users: Problems viewing RTF

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sun Jun 24 20:58:11 CDT 2001

Just downloaded a story ... a few weird things:

>OK, I guess if you can't find a file on your desktop, you need more help
>than I do :o) Same user reports having to drag the file to his Clarisworks
>folder to get them to "open/convert."

In Netscape 4.7 Mac, the first time I clicked a link to a story, a
new browser window opened and I was prompted to save the file in the
Netcape folder. Second and third times, everything worked fine. Weird
... I have my computer set to use the "folder set by application"
which is the default.

>  > Could we see an example?
>
>Umm. Sure. Just know that the site isn't live yet, so it's a bit of a mess.
>
>http://www.satinslippers.com/forums/links_showall.asp?cat_id=26&parent_id=2&
>parent_name=Erotica&sub_name=Lesbian
>
>Choose the first entry in that section, "Latent Image" which is the one with
>the ASCII characters for quote marks I noted above.

Two Horrible things happen for me in IE 5 Mac:

The file is always saved as links_goto.asp.

Second thing might have been because I had messed with the file
helper preferences, but don't remember doing so: The file was saved
with my default text editor as it's creator (BBEdit) ... I changed
the setting for TEXT/richtext to open in Word (it's still saved as
links_goito.asp though).

Maybe someone else who is sure they haven't changed these settings
can check what the file helper for TEXT/richtext is.

>Finally, another Mac user reports she can't upload files because even though
>they're .rtf the upload dialogue tells her "they're the wrong file type."  I
>have no idea how to help this woman.
>
>If anyone wants to be arsed to test upload off a Mac, there's an account
>with the username "evolt" and password "evolt" (all no quotes).  Uploading
>anywhere is fine.

What she saw was most likely "File Type Not Allowed" - perhaps you
should add to this something like "the last four letters of your
story's file name must be a period followed by one of the following:
DOC, RTF or TXT"

(On Mac, the application that owns the file is determined by the
filetype/creator and you don't have to have an extension - all the
major word processing apps for Mac do not save the file with it's
extension, so most Mac users are going to name their files without
one.)
--

- Erik Mattheis

Wants to see a flying saucer.