[thelist] More Smart Tags

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Mon Jun 25 07:10:20 CDT 2001

Isaac - your post reads pro-Smart Tag where your evolt article takes
the other side - what gives, are you playing devil's advocate, taking
the middle road, mistaken identity?

Nobody here knows what the final implementation of smart tags will
be, IMO they won't be a problem, and if they do end up linking to MS
preferred sites, it will be the lynch pin for MS ... but why any
website developer would be into the idea as the IE 6 beta purportedly
implements them is beyond me:

The point here is that there's _nothing_ that Smart Tags can do that
a 4.0 browser cannot already do - except draw a purple wiggly line
under text and make it easy for a third party direct the flow of
traffic from a website they don't own.

At 11:57 AM +0930 6/25/01, isaac wrote:
>  > I build web sites for a living, the idea of trying to sell a site to a
>>  commercial customer that can be grafitti'd by an anonymous competitor is
>>  outrageous.
>
>Add the meta tag to stop smart tags effecting your content.

OK, so we're obliged to add a proprietary meta tag for every browser
that decides they want to mess with our content?

It seems to me (as well as others more versed in law than anyone on
this list is likely to be) that this smart tag idea (as we understand
it) is a blatant abuse of monopoly power.

If this were some off-browser with a fraction of a percent of the
market share the situation would be laughable - another silly dot-com
idea ... but we're talking about what will be THE browser for the
vast majority of we users who update their OS after October.

--

- Erik Mattheis

Wants to see a flying saucer.

(612) 827 3963